POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Eavesdropping - new WIP (~130kB) : Re: Eavesdropping - new WIP (~130kB) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:10:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eavesdropping - new WIP (~130kB)
From: Jim Charter
Date: 17 Aug 2007 13:28:30
Message: <46c5dabe$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:

> How about sphere_sweeps for column and flutes? Evaluating the spline
> functions would give any circumference you need.

I am not really sure there is support for an interpolated or function
driven reduction of the radius in the sphere_sweep syntax but I have
only ever looked at it briefly. In any case I still would not be able to
compose such a function.

So I'll take a look. Of course I can improvise my own.  (I guess I do
that sort of thing a lot an so was hoping for some other way.)  Since
you prodded me with this post, though, I will probably improvise
something with spheres and cones along a spline.  I'll build the spline
using the trace function and sample the sphere surface after it is
already scaled.  I'll do it just to see how it works.

But constructing the thing in mesh is far and away the pragmatic
approach, it now seems obvious.